Friday 17 October 2008

Tracy Emin

During our first seminar with Jim today, we were talking about artists with great names: Andy Warhol, David Hockey, Picasso, Tracy Emin. It was hard for us to think of artists with 'boring' names.

Although Tracy Emin is a well known English artist, I've never really studied her work or know much about her. Well, it's never too late..



Everyone I Have Ever Slept With 1963–1995


This is probably one of Emin's most iconic works. It is a tent with the names of literally everyone she had ever slept with. (Not necessarily in the sexual sense.) Owned by Charles Saatchi, it was destroyed in the 2004 Momart London warehouse fire. Emin has refused to recreate it.



My Bed

Another striking piece, this is an installation of Tracy Emin's own bed: unmade and ditry with used condoms and blood-stained underwear.

I find it amazing how a person becomes so well known after the most bizarre things. I guess it's all originality...

No comments: