Thursday 16 August 2007

Shadows


So I know I was meant to start this GLOG a few months ago, and I know I’m off on a bad start, and I know my excuses don’t matter, but I’ve captured the design moments of my summer journeys so far which I’d like to share from this day onwards…

Shadows have always fascinated me. Their shapes and sizes in relation to what one would think to be the focal part of an image, actually capture the viewer’s attention first. Well, me being the viewer in these two cases at least…

I went to Australia in June 2007 to attend a Global Young Leader’s Summit (GYLS), in which students around the globe are invited to participate and voice their opinion on world issues as young leaders of today’s world. The photograph on the left was taken on the steps leading up to Sydney’s Opera House (one of the spots we visited during our free time). I thought it was quite interesting how our silhouette figures were put together, yet broken apart while we climbed down the stairs.

Notice the relation between the direction/ blockage of the light and the shadow distortions in the picture on the right as well. While holidaying in Austria the following month, my siblings and I are seen playing with our shadows on the pavement.

No comments: